Monday, June 15, 2009

Transfer Day!

At 11:30am today Missy, Jaren, Tim and I were at HIVF ready to get pregnant! Dr. Hickman was running a little behind and our time in the waiting room went on much longer then planned. Missy came with me when i was called to have blood work done then back to the waiting room again. After what felt like hours all four of us were called to meet with Dr. Hickman to discuss our up and coming IVF transfer. He said two embryos were perfectly graded at a 4aa! Those are the embryos we'll transfer today. So far they have one embryo to freeze graded at 4ab. We all signed to confirm, Dr. Hickman told me to take my Valium and we all walked to the other side of HIVF to prepare for our IVF transfer. We went to recovery so I could change before walking down a long, curvy and cold hallway. Felt so surreal. We walked into the same room Missy had her egg retrieval. Talk about a full circle. Not long after I was on the table staff were setting up and my nurse was using a sonogram to make sure my bladder was full enough. Whew did I have to go! But you need to have a full bladder for the IVF transfer. Just as the room felt still the lab brought in the incubator holding Missy and Jaren's embryos. Their children. Talk about a crazy moment. I was dieing to get up and look in that microscope to see them but wasn't able to. Jaren, Missy and then Tim took a look. How many parents get to see their children as multi celled embryos?



Dr. Hickman walked in and soon after everything seemed like a whirl wind of surreal moments flooding through. For all of us. We were all witness to those two little embryos transferred into my uterus. There is no explaining what that moment feels like unless you've been there. "You have to live it to completely understand it" is what I've said to Missy and Jaren numerous times. And now they have had the complete experience of IVF transfers. Missy even said those exact words as we waited out the hour in recovery with me pretty much flat on my back. Barb came in right before time came around for us to be released. She went over post transfer instructions with the four of us and helped me get up and moving. I couldn't help but have a picture snapped of the four of us with the best fertility nurse ever on our way out. Took our lightening speed quick ride down the 23 floors in the elevator before getting in Jaren's car. I had shot gun! In the reclined position and with my Valium kicking in I slept a good part of the 45 minute drive so didn't matter much where I was sitting.


We finally exited making our way to Conroe. Linda and Charlie, Missy's Mom and Step Dad, were waiting for our arrival. I felt like we were on our very own episode of Dora the Explorer crossing bridges, getting passed the guards at the gates and down greenery filled paths. We finally pulled up at a beautiful home with two very eager (hopefully) Grandparents to be waiting with smiles from ear to ear! Once I was settled in one of my three spots for the next 48 hours we had the first of our many scrumptious meals! Slidders with a special sauce, quesadillas and guacamole. Not that we didn't enjoy lunch but the best part of frozen orange "bowls" filled with frozen orange juice. Mine was non alcoholic but still yummy! Steak that melted in our mouths, breakfast casserole, panini sandwiches, lasagna, salad, fruit bowls, chocolate cake and oh the list could go on. I think we all gained a good 5 pounds before we stepped foot out the door heading back home. But before that I have to tell you how the guys spent their "bed rest" time. Of course I was on the couch, in bed or taking one of my cherished trips to the bathroom. Missy and Linda spent a majority of their time inside with me. Thankfully. I'm the complete opposite of a couch potato so watch the guys fill their 48 hours with boat rides, skiing, fishing, swimming, riding jet skis and soaking up the sun rays outside through those ceiling to floor windows in the living room or from the gorgeous view from our room was SO hard. But I had fun watching them anyway reading gossip magazines and enjoying everything Missy and Linda put together in my adorable basket. So sweet they are! Now Tuesday evening I did get to go upstairs and watch a movie in the media room with Tim, Missy and Jaren. We watched Taken. It was a good movie too! Of course Tim now thinks we need to nix our ideas we have for our house and make a media room. Maybe when we're Grandparents we'll talk more about that Timothy. :-)






Wednesday morning we packed up before eating breakfast and then headed out. Jaren had to get to work for the afternoon and we needed to get back home to our children and dog. Makes me think of the song "back to life, back to reality". Perfect song after spending 2 1/2 days in Conroe!

A majority of our ride home Tim and I just drove and I know he had as much on his mind as I did. We would talk here and there but mostly spent time thinking and holding hands. Of course all I could think of was what those little embryos were doing. Were they nestling into a perfect spot in utero to grow and thrive for the next few months? I also couldn't stop think about how Makenzie and Mason would react when we find out we're pregnant for another couple again. I have to add I'm pleased to know our children are receiving the best lesson in giving, sharing and helping others through our family making these surrogacy journeys. What better gift could we ask to give to such wonderful people. It's truly a blessing and miraculous journey we're able to take part in. So for those who do please say a prayer for these little embryos. For Missy and Jaren. For Tim, Makenzie, Mason and I. For a successful and uneventful surrogacy journey.

And the waiting game is back on....

No comments:

Post a Comment